Working on roads

We are committed to ensuring that external works and temporary traffic management can occur safely on roads, in a coordinated manner and with minimal disruption to road users.

If you are planning any of the following you will need to notify us and obtain consent: 

  • If you are planning to conduct road works or an event that requires traffic management on a state road, refer to the 'Traffic Management for Roadworks & Events' section.
  • If you require traffic management on a local government road which will affect the operation of traffic signals, or is within 30 metres of traffic signals, refer to the 'Traffic Management for Roadworks & Events' section.
  • If you are planning to do work within the road reserve (including the roadway and / or the roadside), refer to the 'Third Party Roads' section.

Additionally, anyone seeking to conduct Traffic Management should refer to the ‘Training and Accreditation’ section, and any company that seeks to provide traffic management services should refer to the information in the 'Traffic Management Company Registration Scheme' section.

Worker safety on our roads

While we work with traffic management companies and contractors to ensure working conditions are as safe as possible, we also continue to remind motorists of the key role they play in protecting all workers on our roads. We frequently promote road worker safety campaigns to help raise awareness around the importance of travelling safely through worksites and ultimately, preventing incidents from occuring. Visit our Driving in WA - Safety page to see how we're raising awareness with road users on road worker and traffic controller safety.

Acknowledgement of country

The Government of Western Australia acknowledges the traditional custodians throughout Western Australia and their continuing connection to the land, waters and community. We pay our respects to all members of the Aboriginal communities and their cultures; and to Elders both past and present.

Tell us what you think

Help us improve our website by sharing your thoughts and suggestions.

Provide feedback