Accreditation & Auditing
WA Heavy Vehicle Accreditation (WAHVA) Remote Audit Requirements Trial
Following feedback received, Main Roads will conduct a 12 month trial to allow for remote Heavy Vehicle Accreditation (HVA) Audits, commencing from the 1st July 2023.
The WAHVA Remote Audit Policy and Procedure document sets out the circumstances in which a remote audit can be conducted and outlines the roles and responsibilities of certified WAHVA Auditors and Operators.
WAHVA Certified Auditors and Transport Operators are encouraged to familiarise themselves with this document to ensure they can meet the requirements, prior to pursuing this option.
WA Heavy Vehicle Accreditation (WAHVA)
WAHVA is mandatory for anyone requiring a permit or order to perform any transport task, for hire or reward, within Western Australia, including interstate operators - unless exempted.
The single WAHVA Management Systems Standards (PDF, 496 KB) replaces and combines the individual “modules” which are contained within the WAHVA Management Systems Standards are required to be incorporated into daily work practices, and include:
- Accreditation Common Standards (four management standards sharing commonality across all accreditation modules)
- Fatigue Management Module Standards
- Maintenance Management Module Standards
- Dimension and Loading Management Module Standards
The fourth optional module within the WAHVA Management Systems Standards, is the Mass Management Module and is only required if an operator wishes to operate within the Accredited Mass Management Scheme (AMMS).
The WAHVA Business Rules - PDF (496 KB) have been developed to assist you to become and maintain your heavy vehicle accreditation.
Third Party Accreditation
A Sub Contractor may operate under an Accredited Operators (AO) accreditation under conditions specified in the Western Australia Heavy Vehicle Accreditation Business Rules.
For a Sub-contractor to be able to operate under another operator’s accreditation the following must occur:
- The sub-contractor or operator must complete A Third Party Accreditation Authorisation Form (PDF, 367 KB)
- The form must include the vehicle(s) registration number and driver’s name(s).
- The form must include the accredited operator’s details.
- The form must be signed by the Accredited Operators nominated primary contact.
- When the form has been completed it is to be sent to: email@example.com
- We will confirm when the sub-contractor has been included under the operator’s accreditation.
Please see our Subcontractor - Operating on another operators accreditation (PDF, 144 KB) fact sheet for further information about this process.
Who requires Accreditation?
Accreditation in WA is mandatory for anyone who performs a transport task for hire or reward and meets any of the following criteria:
- Operates B-Double or Road Train Configurations; or
- Operates Truck & Trailer combinations over 42.5 tonnes gross mass; or
- Requires more than four single trips (oversize or overmass) per calendar year; or
- Operates under concessional loading scheme; or Requires an annual Permit or Notice; or
- Operates a RAV exceeding a width of 2.5 metres; or
- Operates a RAV exceeding a height of 4.3 metres; or
- Operates a RAV exceeding a length of 19 metres.
Who is Exempt?What classification of vehicle is exempt from accreditation requirements in WA?
- Special Purpose Vehicles (SPV);
- Agricultural Equipment;
- Vehicles that have a gross mass (GVM) of eight tonne or less;
- Recreational Boat Trailers.
Steps for accreditation...
WAHVA Scheme Auditors undertake an important role by conducting audits of transport operators enrolled in the scheme.
To be able to conduct audits you must have completed the Western Australian Heavy Vehicle (WAHVA) Auditor training and certification program that is administered by Main Roads.The Guidelines for Audit Providers (PDF) sets out the process, documentation and expectations of WAHVA Scheme Auditors. The Audit Report Template (Word document) and audit matrices are provided as support documentation.
Steps to complete your WAHVA Auditor Training and Certification
Page last reviewed: | Last updated: