Planning for the future
We are focused on planning for a safe, reliable and sustainable state road network and work with a range of stakeholders to define, develop and ultimately deliver an integrated transport network for Western Australia.
Our work is guided by Perth and Peel@3.5 million; the long term growth strategy for land use and infrastructure in Perth and Peel. Main Roads’ planning identifies strategic transport corridors and seeks to protect these corridors through the Metropolitan Region Scheme process.
What do we consider?
We consider both current and future requirements and seek to provide for the aspirations of the community to provide for a safe and efficient road network. This includes:
- efficiency / productivity of the road network
- road safety
- transform the way people live, travel and experience Perth (and Western Australia)
- support Perth's development as a hub for business and tourism
- unlock economic growth and rejuvenation for future generations
- provide world-class public spaces, cycling and pedestrian facilities.
- Planning reservations included in the MRS are the result of many years of investigation, design, consultation and planning. There are also reservations under development.
- Main Roads has completed planning reviews of sections of key transport corridors in metropolitan Perth and developed associated draft preliminary design concepts.
- These planning reviews have previously been considered and supported by the Western Australian Planning Commission. In the majority of cases, these reviews propose amendments to the MRS.