Principal Shared Path (PSP) closure
Construction works for the Hester Avenue interchange upgrade and new roundabout require a temporary closure to the Hester Avenue PSP. The works will require the removal of existing pavement, the installation of safety barriers, closure of traffic lanes, and earthworks on both sides of Hester Avenue. The absence of an adjacent road network prevents the project from implementing a local road detour around the works. There is also insufficient space on the road to create a safe cycling lane.
Hester Avenue between Wanneroo Road and Mitchell Freeway
- From 7 September to November 2022
- Principal Shared Path (PSP) closed, see Map
- Access closed to Hester Avenue from the Yaberoo Budjara Heritage Trail
The final bridge beam was recently installed on the new Lukin Drive Interchange bridge, hitting a major milestone for the project. The rail line interface means the installation had to coincide with nightly closures of the railway line to allow the works to be safely undertaken, without disruption to regular train services.
A few funs facts about the new Lukin Drive Interchange bridge:
- The bridge will be 101.2m long and have 18 beams (when travelling at the speed limit, it will take 6 seconds to cross…almost twice as fast as Usain Bolt)
- The longest beam is 35m and weighs 105.8 tonnes! (or 1058 baby elephants)
- There will 693 cubic metres of concrete used for the 18 beams (equivalent to 2,772,000 cups of coffee)
There are a number of other bridges also being constructed as part of the project including a bridge at the new Butler Boulevard Interchange, a tunnel for the rail just north of Lukin Drive as it exits the Freeway reserve into the suburbs, and an arch structure over the access to the Public Transport Authority’s Nowergup Depot.
Read more in the Construction Update.