Early works complete; construction placed on hold
Pre-construction works associated with the Great Eastern Highway Bypass Interchanges (GEHBI) project are complete. These works include services relocations and protection works across the construction site, including Western Power, ATCO Gas, water corporation and Local Government drainage main installation.
In addition, the project team has completed the realignment and reconstruction of Arum Lily Place and the upgrade of Adelaide Street. Earthworks to form the embankments and consolidate ground conditions for the GEH Bypass and Abernethy Road interchange have also taken place in recent months.
The project has reached a point where major construction works are ready to commence, however, further construction activity has been placed on hold while Main Roads secures the approvals required to deliver the works.
Lloyd Street Bridge update
Main Roads has been liaising with local stakeholders, Traditional Owners and the City of Swan to explore the viability of a new alignment for the Lloyd Street Bridge. The bridge would be relocated further west, to a narrower crossing of the Helena River, loosely following the footprint of the old Whiteman Road bridge that was demolished in 2002. The outcomes of a feasibility study are currently being examined by government.
- Two major interchanges at: Great Eastern Highway Bypass and Roe Highway, and Great Eastern Highway Bypass and Abernethy Road.
- An extension of Lloyd Street from its current end point to the south of Clayton Street to the Great Eastern Highway Bypass, including a new bridge over the Helena River.
- Upgrades to the Great Eastern Highway Bypass, including the removal of the existing intersection at Stirling Crescent.
- Upgrades to parts of Abernethy Road.
- Upgrade of Roe Highway between Talbot Road and Clayton Street, including a bridge duplication over Helena River.
- Completion of the 30 km shared path network on Roe Highway between Great Eastern Highway and Kwinana Freeway.
- Modification of existing utilities and services to enable construction.