Smart Freeway - Mitchell Southbound
Hester Avenue to Vincent Street
Mitchell Freeway southbound is getting an upgrade!
From adding an extra lane southbound from Hodges Drive to Hepburn Avenue, to rolling out our next Smart Freeway package, we're making better use of existing infrastructure. There are a lot of other works taking place to facilitate these major upgrades.
The project will be delivered by two separate contracts:
- Hester Avenue to Warwick Road; and
- Reid Highway to Vincent Street.
If you're one of the 51,000 drivers who use Mitchell Freeway each day, you may also be interested in the Stephenson Avenue Extension project. The project will see Stephenson Avenue extended to Cedric Street, and a new interchange at Mitchell Freeway which will replace the interchange at Cedric Street.
Construction activities kick off
From Monday 28 June, traffic will be progressively shifted to a temporary alignment from Hester Avenue to Warwick Road. New lines will be painted and traffic barriers installed, which will allow us to start constructing a new third lane in the median. The changed conditions will be in place for several months.
Read about the impacts under the "Roadworks" section below.
Existing line markings will be removed during night works, and nearby residents may experience noise as machinery moves along the freeway. We apologise for the disruption this may cause.
Finalising the detailed design
Detailed design is being finalised from Hester Avenue to Warwick Road for freeway ramp modifications, emergency lane and stopping bays and the shared path. Some of the activities include:
- Geotechnical and site investigations
- Environmental approvals
- Noise monitoring and assessment
- Consultation with key stakeholders
Learn more in the May Project Update (PDF).
Currently in procurement
Three consortia have been shortlisted to submit design and construction proposals for the roll-out of smart technologies from Reid Highway to Vincent Street:
- CPB, GHD, UGL and SAGE
- Intelligent Freeways Alliance (NRW, Lendlease Services, WSP)
- SmartWays Alliance (BMD, Ventia, Arup).
A consortia is where contractors come together with their resources and expertise to deliver a project.
The contract is expected to be awarded later this year.
Read more in the latest Media Statement.
Hester Avenue to Warwick Road
- Early-2019: Project planning and development
- February 2021: Contract award
- May 2021: Construction started
- Late 2023: Estimated completion
Reid Highway to Vincent Street
- Mid-2020: Project planning and development
- January 2021: Procurement process commenced
- Late-2021: Contract award
- Early-2022: Anticipate construction to start
- Late-2023: Estimated completion
Page last reviewed: | Last updated: