Smart Freeway - Mitchell Southbound
Hester Avenue to Vincent Street
With more than 180,000 daily motorists, Mitchell Freeway southbound is at capacity. Traditional solutions to alleviate congestion such as adding more lanes is not possible along this 36 kilometre stretch of freeway due to the constrained areas both along the verge and the median/rail line.
This project will see the roll out of several Intelligent Transport System (ITS) treatments along the freeway, which will be integrated into a centralised control system to create a ‘Smart Freeway’. We’re planning to modify each of the 16 freeway on-ramps with co-ordinated signals from Hester Avenue to Vincent Street, and incorporate Smart Freeway technologies at key locations closer to the Perth CBD as part of a more cost effective, sustainable solution.
Coordinated ramp signals will receive continual traffic data on freeway conditions from sensors under the road surface. They will determine the variance of the on-ramp signal timings to enable vehicles to enter the freeway and merge safely, whilst working in coordination with other ramp signals to enable efficient traffic flows.
As part of this project, we’ll also be:
- Installing CCTV cameras to enable continual traffic monitoring and management.
- Installing vehicle detectors and automatic incident detection.
- Upgrading the Traffic Control Systems Network to future-proof smart operation of the road network
- Realigning the Principal Shared Path adjacent to freeway on-ramps where it may be impacted by the works.
- Installing or replacing safety barriers at on-ramps where required.
- Undertaking resurfacing and line marking where required.
Page last reviewed: | Last updated: