In cooperation with local governments, we conduct crash location investigations after the occurrence of a fatal or serious casualty crash.
The primary focus of crash investigations is to identify road environment factors which may possibly be related to the cause of a crash or may have increased the severity of a crash.
Crash investigations are undertaken using a two stage process;
- Preliminary Crash Investigations which should occur within 7 working days of the crash; and
- Detailed Crash Investigations which are completed only if a road environment factor possibly related to the cause or severity of a crash is identified in the preliminary crash investigation.
Crash Analysis Reporting System (CARS) is software in use throughout Western Australia for the analysis of reported road crashes. The crash data is available to state and local government road asset managers, and also to consultants engaged to complete work on behalf of these agencies.
In order to gain access to CARS, you are required to complete the following steps:
- Create an account with Main Roads.
- Validate your account by clicking on the link in an email that will be sent you (if not received in your inbox, check your Junk or Spam folder)
- Download and complete the CARS Application form
- Send the completed application form to email@example.com
You may wish to refer to the list of Road Use Movement Codes for CARS.
Treatment of Crash Locations course
The Road Safety Engineering - Treatment of Crash Locations course is available now via the Road Safety Audit Portal.
This is a vital training resource for people involved in the treatment of crash locations for programs such as the Federal and State funded Black Spot programs in Western Australia.