Agricultural Vehicles

If you’re driving an agricultural machine or towing an agricultural implement on a public road in WA that exceeds the dimensions prescribed in Part 8 of the Road Traffic Vehicle Regulations 2014 (RTVR), you must operate in accordance with the relevant Permit or Order. These dimensions include:

  • 2.5m in width
  • 4.3m in height
  • 12.5m in length for a rigid vehicle
  • 19m in length for a combination
  • 42.5t gross mass
  • 6t on a single steer axle
  • 10t on a twin steer axle group (non-load sharing suspension)
  • 11t on a twin steer axle group (load sharing suspension)
  • 9t on a single axle
  • 16.5t on a tandem axle group
  • 20t on a tri or quad axle group

Read below to find out more about the Permits and Orders available to accommodate the movement of your agricultural machine.

Agricultural Orders

Agricultural Permits

If your agricultural machine or agricultural combination falls outside the parameters of the Orders listed above, you must apply for a Permit.

If you need to operate under one of the permits listed below, you first need to register as a transport operator and register your vehicle(s)

Agricultural Operators do not need to obtain WA Heavy Vehicle Accreditation.

WA Police Permit (MR19)

When moving ‘excessively large‘ agricultural machinery or towed implements you must obtain an MR19 permit from WA Police in addition to the Main Roads Permit or Order requirement.

Traffic Management Requirements

Agricultural vehicles may travel between paddocks from one gate to another gate, within 1km on the same local government road, provided there is traffic management in place. The Traffic Management Requirements – Towed Agricultural Implements Crossings (PDF) details all the requirements.

Agricultural Pilots

Find out if you need an Agricultural Pilot to move an oversize agricultural vehicle:

The Agricultural Pilot Authorisation 2019 allows pilots to accompany an oversize agricultural vehicle, up to 8.5 m in width, without the need to hold a Heavy Vehicle Pilot Licence.

Agricultural Pilot Operational Requirements (PDF) outline the requirements an Agricultural Pilot must follow.

Agricultural Pilot Zones

The Agricultural Pilot requirements vary for each zone, as the risks to road users vary due to different traffic volumes and mix of traffic.

The Agricultural Pilot Zones are available on our RAV Mapping Tool, and are defined as follows:

  • Green Zone - All roads within the areas bounded by Regional Distributor and State roads.
  • Orange Zone - All Regional Distributor and State roads, outside the Perth Metropolitan Area.
  • Red Zone - All roads within the Perth Metropolitan Area.

The Agricultural Pilot Zones Map (PDF) details the zones with the Orange Zone - Regional Distributor and State Roads List (PDF) provided in road list format.

Acknowledgement of country

The Government of Western Australia acknowledges the traditional custodians throughout Western Australia and their continuing connection to the land, waters and community. We pay our respects to all members of the Aboriginal communities and their cultures; and to Elders both past and present.

Tell us what you think

Help us improve our website by sharing your thoughts and suggestions.

Provide feedback