Caves Road Safety Improvements
Yallingup to Augusta
The Caves Road Safety Improvement project includes significant consultation with the community. We want to develop a solution that balances the needs of road users with community expectations.
We understand the significance of this road to the community and have been consulting with community representatives since 2019. A stakeholder working group has informed the process and helped to identify treatments that are supported by the wider community.
Together, we’re working towards outcomes that will make Caves Road safer for everyone.
Safety Improvement Work
In early April 2021, the speed limit on Caves Road was permanently reduced to 80km/h on four sections between Yallingup and Margaret River. Lower speed zones in more built up areas along the road remain unchanged.
We installed new painted edge lines on a 30km section of road between Moses Rock Road and Rainbow Caves Road. The lines help delineate between the road edge and gravel. We also completed smoothing work on some sections of road to reduce roughness.
These initiatives were key outcomes from our community and stakeholder workshops. Additional improvements being progressed to discuss with the stakeholder working group include:
- Production of a concept design for wider lanes with sealed shoulders on each side.
- Development of designs and environmental impact assessments for small stopping/passing bays.
- Preparation of a Black Spot submission for Carters Road North, near the Ellen Brook Bridge.
- Development of a bridge maintenance program and completion of a signage review.
- Development of a prioritised list of intersection improvements for inclusion in the Safety Improvement Strategy.
Caves Road Yallingup Roundabout
We’re progressing development work for a future roundabout on Caves Road near the Yallingup Hall.
The roundabout will help ease congestion, improve safety and reduce driver frustration, particularly on long weekends and holiday periods.
Reduce road trauma
Page last reviewed: | Last updated: