Broome Cape Leveque Road
Broome Highway to Beagle Bay
During the wet season, access to the Dampier Peninsula is restricted due to flooding. This project will provide all weather access and safety improvements.
Once completed, a sealed Broome-Cape Leveque Road will improve access through the Dampier Peninsula to Aboriginal communities, pastoral stations, pearling industries and tourist destinations.
Works will include:
- Construction and sealing of the remaining 90 km unsealed section
- Upgrade of the Broome Cape Leveque Road and Broome Highway intersection
- Alignment/geometric and drainage improvements
- The installation of culverts, fauna underpasses and floodways
To help reduce crashes and improve safety, we will also:
- Add gravel shoulders
- Widen the roads to 8 m
- Build audio tactile edge lines to reduce the risk of vehicles leaving the road
- Flatten roadside batters (the slopes of dirt on the side) to reduce the risk of rollovers
- Install parking bays at regular intervals to provide more rest stop opportunities
During construction, vehicles will still be able to use the existing road. You may see reduced speed limits while work is underway.