Tonkin Highway Extension
Thomas Road to South Western Highway
We are extending Tonkin Highway – creating a high standard north-south transport link in Perth’s south eastern corridor.
A reservation for the road extension has been included in the Metropolitan Region Scheme (MRS) for a number of years.
The project proposes to extend the highway from Thomas Road, Oakford to South Western Highway, south-east of Mundijong.
The preliminary concept includes:
- approximately 14 kilometres of four lane dual carriageway;
- new intersections to be constructed at Thomas Road, Orton Road, Bishop Road, Mundijong Road and South Western Highway;
- bridges over the existing freight rail line and Perth to Bunbury passenger rail line;
- a shared use path along the eastern side of the Tonkin Highway corridor, with planned connections to local path networks; and
- an equine and pedestrian / cyclist underpass under Tonkin Highway at Abernethy Road.
Alleviate pressure on the transport network
Reduce travel times
Improve safety and connectivity
Page last reviewed: | Last updated: