Reid Highway Dual Carriageway
Altone Road to West Swan Road
This is the last section between Marmion Avenue and Great Northern Highway that is not a dual carriageway. This type of road separates the two directions of traffic by creating a barrier or median between the opposing lanes. A dual carriageway reduces the chance of head-on collisions and crashes caused by risky overtaking.
- A four kilometre, two lane second carriageway between Altone Road and West Swan Road (construction to occur on the southern side of the existing carriageway)
- New shared path and local links on the southern side of the highway
- Modifications to Reid Highway and West Swan Road intersection
- A new bridge over Reid Highway, connecting the northern and southern sections of Arthur Street
- Install bridge beams and deck for a second carriageway across Bennett Brook
- Extend the underpass to link Victoria Road
- Noise walls
- Signage, fencing, drainage, landscaping and street lighting
The project also includes a new bridge over Reid Highway at Arthur Street to connect the growing communities of Caversham and Dayton. The bridge will provide alternative access for buses to cross Reid Highway and for residents accessing the new primary school in South Caversham.