Wanneroo Road and Morley Drive Intersection Upgrade
This intersection is the third worst, for both congestion and frequency crashes, in the Perth metropolitan area. Between 2013 and 2017 there were 246 reported crashes at this intersection, 222 of the reported crashes were rear-end crash types.
The intersection is also a public transport priority, forming part of the 998 and 999 Circle Route on Morley Drive – a strategic bus service connecting hospital precincts, tertiary education institutions and train interchanges across the metropolitan area.
The project will help address these issues and improve this intersection for both road users and pedestrians. It is a joint venture between Main Roads and the Public Transport Authority (PTA) and will:
- provide shared bus and left turn lanes on Morley Drive
- add additional through lanes on Wanneroo road
- modify existing traffic control signals
- install a staggered pedestrian crossing on Morley Drive east and west
- change traffic signal infrastructure to include mast arms on each approach to the intersection
Additional works include:
- Restricting the right turn access at Manoff Road by closing the median on Morley Drive west leg at Manoff Road. Manoff Road will be a left in left out access road only at Morley Drive
- Formalising two U-turn facilities on Morley Drive west leg, between Wanneroo Road and Huckle Street
- Extension of the existing right turn lanes
- Installation of CCTV
- Modifications to existing ramps and concrete paths for the extent of the proposed project area to meet current disability access and mobility standards
- Widening current shared paths to 2 m wide and connecting them with existing network