Wanneroo Road and Joondalup Drive Interchange
Traffic volumes on Wanneroo Road and Joondalup Drive are expected to grow rapidly as the north-west suburbs expand. Within 10 years, the intersection will reach a state of gridlock, bringing long delays and heightened safety risk.
This project supports current and projected levels of traffic. It improves access to Mitchell Freeway, Joondalup City Centre, the train line and the coast. The new interchange improves safety and reduces journey times.
As part of this project, we:
- Constructed a grade-separated intersection with Joondalup Drive going over Wanneroo Road with two lanes in each direction
- Added a new roundabout at current intersection of Joondalup Drive and Cheriton Drive
- Created a new signalised intersection at Wanneroo Road and Clarkson Avenue
- Modified the intersections with local roads (Drovers Place and St Stephens Crescent)
- Upgraded the roundabout at Burns Beach Road to improve traffic flow
- Constructed retaining walls and noise walls on intersection quadrants
- Added road furniture, fencing, drainage, landscaping and street lighting
- Created new shared paths and bus facilities