Wanneroo Road and Joondalup Drive Interchange
In 2015/16 the City of Wanneroo was the fastest-growing local government in WA. Traffic volumes on Wanneroo Road and Joondalup Drive are expected to grow rapidly as the north-west suburbs expand. Within 10 years, the intersection will reach a state of gridlock, bringing long delays and heightened safety risk.
On completion, this project will support current and projected levels of traffic. It will improve access to Mitchell Freeway, Joondalup City Centre, the train line and the coast. The new interchange will improve safety and reduce journey times.
As part of this project, we will:
- Construct a grade-separated intersection with Joondalup Drive going over Wanneroo Road with two lanes in each direction
- Add a new roundabout at current intersection of Joondalup Drive and Cheriton Drive
- Create a new signalised intersection at Wanneroo Road and Clarkson Avenue
- Modify the intersections with local roads (Drovers Place and St Stephen Crescent)
- Upgrade the roundabout at Burns Beach Road to improve traffic flow
- Construct retaining walls and noise walls on intersection quadrants
- Add road furniture, fencing, drainage, landscaping and street lighting
- Create new shared paths and bus facilities