Mitchell Freeway Extension
Hester Avenue to Romeo Road
The extension of Mitchell Freeway is part of a group of infrastructure improvements, which will support the expansion of Perth’s fast-growing outer northern suburbs of Butler, Yanchep, Alkimos and Eglinton.
This project will extend a critical transport link and provide many benefits to the local community, including improved access and travel times.
As part of the Mitchell Freeway Extension, we will:
- Add a 5.6 km to Mitchell Freeway from Hester Avenue to Romeo Road with two traffic lanes in each direction and space for future widening
- Complete the interchange at Hester Avenue
- Add a new interchange at Lukin Drive
- Create a rail tunnel or bridge for the existing rail to exit the freeway median to Butler station
- Build a new principal shared path for cyclists and pedestrians on the western side of the freeway from Hester Avenue to Romeo Road
- Construct and connect Romeo Road between Marmion Avenue and Wanneroo Road
- Add noise mitigation, street lighting and safety barriers where required
- Add an extra lane to Wanneroo Road for 1.8 km from Romeo Road to Trian Road
Construction will take place at the same time as the Yanchep Rail Extension. This is part of the State Government's commitment to METRONET. It will ensure a coordinated program of works that delivers well-planned transport infrastructure for the northern suburbs and the wider metropolitan area.