Mitchell Freeway Extension
Hester Avenue to Romeo Road
The extension of Mitchell Freeway is part of a group of infrastructure improvements, which will support the expansion of Perth’s fast-growing outer northern suburbs of Butler, Yanchep, Alkimos and Eglinton.
This project will extend a critical transport link and provide many benefits to the local community, including improved access and travel times.
As part of the Mitchell Freeway Extension, we will:
- Extend Mitchell Freeway from Hester Avenue to Romeo Road, with two traffic lanes in each direction
- Construct an interchange at Lukin Drive and widen the road to Connolly Drive
- Construct an interchange at Butler Boulevard
- Connect Romeo Road from Wanneroo Road to Marmion Avenue, including a new intersection with the Freeway, signal modifications at the Marmion Avenue intersection, an intersection upgrade at Wanneroo Road, and a new intersection at Benenden Avenue
- Upgrade the Hester Avenue interchange
- Duplicate Wanneroo Road from south of Romeo Road to Trian Road
- Construct a bridge or tunnel over Transperth's Nowergup Depot access road and realign to Hester Avenue
- Construct a rail tunnel under the freeway north of Lukin Drive
- Build a Principal Shared Path on the western side of the freeway and a shared path on Romeo Road
- Build a fauna underpass at Romeo Road for the Yaberoo Budjara Trail
- Construct a pedestrian underpass at Lukin Drive
- Install noise and screen walls, safety barriers and lighting where required
Construction will take place at the same time as the Yanchep Rail Extension. This is part of the State Government's commitment to METRONET. It will ensure a coordinated program of works that delivers well-planned transport infrastructure for the northern suburbs and the wider metropolitan area.
Alleviate pressure on the local road network
Reduce travel times
Increase access to residential and business
Page last reviewed: | Last updated: