Leach Highway and Welshpool Road Interchange
Used by around 50,000 vehicles per day, Leach Highway and Welshpool Road is currently ranked as the worst intersection across Western Australia for crash frequency.
The project will deliver:
- a new bridge taking Leach Highway over Welshpool Road to create a grade-separated interchange
- a new roundabout at the current Leach Highway and Welshpool Road intersection
- duplication of the existing Leach Highway bridge over the Armadale passenger rail line, Railway Parade and Sevenoaks Street
- a shared path along Leach Highway from Sevenoaks Street to Orrong Road
The roundabout design provides:
- increased safety to all road users
- improved network capacity
- better traffic flows
The project will support the east-west freight link connecting Fremantle with the Kewdale and Welshpool industrial area. It will also improve access to many industries and businesses, as well as connecting the residential suburbs of East Cannington and Queens Park with Victoria Park via Albany Highway.
The project is being delivered by the Leach Welshpool Alliance (LWA), comprising local contractors Georgiou Group Pty Ltd, BG&E Pty Ltd, Golder Associates Pty Ltd and Main Roads.
Improve efficiency at this busy intersection
Significantly reduce travel times
Improve safety for all road users
Page last reviewed: | Last updated: