Karel Avenue Upgrade
The Karel Avenue Upgrade project will reduce congestion at the Karel Avenue and Roe Highway interchange. It will also improve access to Roe Highway and Kwinana Freeway for the residents of Leeming and Bull Creek.
Karel Avenue experiences significant traffic during peak periods. The problem will likely get worse due to residential developments in surrounding areas and development of the Jandakot Airport precinct.
To upgrade Karel Avenue, we plan to:
- Widen Karel Avenue bridge over Roe Highway to create a dual carriageway, connecting at the two-lane dog-bone roundabouts for on and off-ramps
- Extend Karel Avenue bridge across the freight railway line located immediately south of Roe Highway to facilitate construction of the Thornlie-Cockburn Link as part of METRONET
- Modify the existing Training Place intersection to left in and left out to promote safe access
- Extend the existing Karel Avenue underpass to accommodate the widening
- Widen Karel Avenue between the Farrington Road intersection and Roe Highway to four lanes
- Widen Karel Avenue between Roe Highway and the Berrigan Drive roundabout to a four-lane dual carriageway, including modifications to the roundabout approaches to enable two lanes in each direction