Armadale Road to North Lake Road Bridge
We will address congestion at the Kwinana Freeway, Armadale Road and Beeliar Drive interchange, Perth’s fifth most congested intersection by segregating heavy regional traffic from local traffic. In doing so, it will effectively create a bypass around Cockburn Central Train Station and Cockburn Gateway shopping centre.
A direct link will be provided between Armadale and North Lake roads, improving access to Kwinana Freeway and support residential and commercial expansion in Cockburn and Armadale.
Other works will include:
- Construction of a new bridge over Kwinana Freeway, connecting Armadale Road and North Lake Road
- Armadale Road upgraded from Tapper Road to Kwinana Freeway, passing over the intersection of Tapper Road with a new bridge, and under the intersection of Solomon Road via a trench structure
- New north-facing on and off ramps at Kwinana Freeway.
- Local roads reconfigured with two new roundabouts to maintain connectivity
- Collector-distributor roads on both sides of the Kwinana Freeway from Berrigan Drive to Armadale Road
- Modifications to the existing North Lake Road and Midgegooroo Avenue signalised intersection
- Additional lanes and turning capacity added to the intersection of Armadale Road and Ghostgum Avenue to support ongoing residential growth in the suburbs of Calleya and Treeby
New traffic signals operational at Ghostgum Avenue from Friday 3 September
The upgraded intersection at Armadale Road and Ghostgum Avenue is scheduled to open to road users at 10pm on Friday 3 September.
From this point onwards, right turn movements between Armadale Road and Ghostgum Avenue will be reinstated following a long-term closure. We thank the local communities of Treeby and Calleya for their patience during the closure.
This intersection has been reconfigured to provide additional capacity to accommodate the opening of the Armadale Road to North Lake Road Bridge later in the year. It also includes pedestrian crossing facilities across both Ghostgum Avenue and Armadale Road.
Project hits the 90 per cent mark
Completion is in sight as the project reaches a major milestone, with road users driving on the partial roundabout at the Solomon Road and Armadale Road intersection.
Diverting eastbound traffic on Armadale Road over the dive structure has enabled construction to be completed on what will become the new Armadale Road alignment, passing beneath Solomon Road and then over the intersection of Tapper Road and Verde Drive.
For more information on activity across the site, please view our most recent Construction Update (Word document, 5.24 MB).
Seantelle Walsh of Kardy Kreations designed and painted the Armadale Road underpass. The artist created a constellation piece based on the night sky, which represents the Milky Way as well as our past, present and future.
All beams are now in place across each of the four individual bridges and deck construction progressing well. We're on track to open to traffic later in the year.
The new Public Transport Authority carpark is also taking shape, catering for cars, ACROD and future electronic vehicle parking, motorcycle bays, cyclist lockers and a kiss n' ride drop off zone.
Watch the video to see how construction is progressing.
- Late 2019: Construction started
- Late 2021: Construction due to finish
Reduce congestion and support local expansion
Easier access to Cockburn Central Station
Complement other road improvements in the area
Page last reviewed: | Last updated: