North Lake Road now connects to Armadale Road, with the opening of the new bridge over Kwinana Freeway on 15 December 2021.More than 50,000 vehicles use this part of Armadale Road every day and the opening of the new road network has marked the culmination of two years of construction. We sincerely thank road users and the local community for their patience and support whilst major works have taken place.
For more information on the key aspects of this project and some of the great initiatives delivered by the team over the past two years, please view our final Project Update.
Congestion was addressed at the Kwinana Freeway, Armadale Road and Beeliar Drive interchange, Perth’s fifth most congested intersection by segregating heavy regional traffic from local traffic. Effectively, a bypass was created around Cockburn Central Station and Cockburn Gateway shopping centre.
Other works included:
- Construction of a new bridge over Kwinana Freeway, connecting Armadale Road and North Lake Road.
- Armadale Road upgraded from Tapper Road to Kwinana Freeway, passing over the intersection of Tapper Road with a new bridge, and under the intersection of Solomon Road via a trench structure.
- New north-facing on and off ramps at Kwinana Freeway.
- Local roads reconfigured with two new roundabouts to maintain connectivity.
- Collector-distributor roads on both sides of the Kwinana Freeway from Berrigan Drive to Armadale Road.
- Modifications to the existing North Lake Road and Midgegooroo Avenue signalised intersection.
- Additional lanes and turning capacity added to the intersection of Armadale Road and Ghostgum Avenue to support ongoing residential growth in the suburbs of Calleya and Treeby.