Armadale Road to North Lake Road Bridge
We will address congestion at the Kwinana Freeway, Armadale Road and Beeliar Drive interchange, Perth’s fifth most congested intersection by segregating heavy regional traffic from local traffic. In doing so, it will effectively create a bypass around Cockburn Central Train Station and Cockburn Gateway shopping centre.
A direct link will be provided between Armadale and North Lake roads, improving access to Kwinana Freeway and support residential and commercial expansion in Cockburn and Armadale.
Other works will include:
- Construction of a new bridge over Kwinana Freeway, connecting Armadale Road and North Lake Road
- Armadale Road upgraded from Tapper Road to Kwinana Freeway, passing over the intersection of Tapper Road with a new bridge, and under the intersection of Solomon Road via a trench structure
- New north-facing on and off ramps at Kwinana Freeway.
- Local roads reconfigured with two new roundabouts to maintain connectivity
- Collector-distributor roads on both sides of the Kwinana Freeway from Berrigan Drive to Armadale Road
- Modifications to the existing North Lake Road and Midgegooroo Avenue signalised intersection
- Additional lanes and turning capacity added to the intersection of Armadale Road and Ghostgum Avenue to support ongoing residential growth in the suburbs of Calleya and Treeby
Finishing works steam ahead on Armadale Road, as the project reaches 95 per cent completion
An abundance of construction activities are in progress along Armadale Road to complete the remaining stretch of road network that will connect to the Armadale Road to North Lake Road Bridge.
The new signalised intersection at North Lake Road, Midgegooroo Avenue and Kentucky Court was partially opened in late August. This new intersection includes an additional lane in both directions on North Lake Road and additional turning lanes on Midgegooroo Avenue.
Over the next few weeks, works will be carried out to complete the asphalt and bridge works, which includes screen panel installation on top of the bridge at the Armadale Road, Verde Drive and Tapper Road intersection. The Principal Shared Path (PSP) will also be completed. Please view our latest Construction Update (Word document) for more information.
New traffic signals operational at Ghostgum Avenue from Friday 3 September
The upgraded intersection at Armadale Road and Ghostgum Avenue is scheduled to open to road users at 10pm on Friday 3 September.
From this point onwards, right turn movements between Armadale Road and Ghostgum Avenue will be reinstated following a long-term closure. We thank the local communities of Treeby and Calleya for their patience during the closure.
This intersection has been reconfigured to provide additional capacity to accommodate the opening of the Armadale Road to North Lake Road Bridge later in the year. It also includes pedestrian crossing facilities across both Ghostgum Avenue and Armadale Road.
Seantelle Walsh of Kardy Kreations designed and painted the Armadale Road underpass. The artist created a constellation piece based on the night sky, which represents the Milky Way as well as our past, present and future.
All beams are now in place across each of the four individual bridges.
Watch the video to see how construction is progressing.
- Late 2019: Construction started
- Late 2021: Construction due to finish
Reduce congestion and support local expansion
Easier access to Cockburn Central Station
Complement other road improvements in the area
Page last reviewed: | Last updated: