Image: Pilot Picture.PNG 

New Heavy Vehicle Pilot Licence.

Heavy Vehicle Pilots play a key role in maintaining road safety and property protection in the movement of oversize and/or overmass loads throughout Western Australia.  As of the 28 November 2016 all pilots operating in Western Australia are required to obtain the new Heavy Vehicle Pilot Licence.  Click above picture to go to the Heavy Vehicle Pilot web page for more information.


Movement of Agricultural Machinery

 The Heavy Vehicle Agricultural Pilot Authorisation 2017 has been published and is available on the State Law Publisher website. This Authorisation allows oversize agricultural vehicles to be transported without the need for a licensed heavy vehicle pilot under certain circumstances.  Please refer to the Authorisation for the circumstances under which this applies.


Pilot Training

To become an Heavy Vehicle Pilot Licence holder in WA you must successfully complete a training course and be approved by the Commissioner of Police.

The first step is to contact one of the registered training organisations to get information on course details and availability. If you are already an accredited or certified pilot in another state or territory you may be eligible for a shorter training course. All pilots operating in WA must be licensed in WA. Once you have completed your training course your training provider will supply your information to Main Roads WA and we will arrange for you to be approved as an authorised person by the Commissioner of Police.

Training is coordinated by the following authorised trainers in Western Australia:



Information for the general public


Main Roads regularly liaises with a number of pilot industry groups including:


Contact details

Telephone:  138 HVO (138 486)
Facsimile:  (08) 9475 8455
Email: pilots@mainroads.wa.gov.au
Address: 525 Great Eastern Highway, Redcliffe, WA 6104



Modified: 01 Mar 2018