Conducting Works on Roads

Any individual or organisation (ie. local government authority, property developer, non-government utility service provider or land owner) that proposes to undertake works within a Main Roads' road reserve must obtain prior approval from Main Roads.

The type of works may include:

  • Constructing new access roads from subdivisions, driveways, properties; 
  • Constructing slip lanes or turning pockets; 
  • Installation of services by a non government utility service provider; and  
  • Any other work required within the Main Roads Road Reserve. 

The Application Kit and Guidelines will assist applicants in planning the proposed works.

Application kit and guidelines for organisations who seek to undertake works within road reserves managed by Main Roads for:


Forms only


Applications to Undertake Works (Local Road)

For application and approvals to carry out works on local roads, please contact the relevant Local Road Authority.

Visit the WA Local Government Association website to find the details of your Local Government office.


Codes, Policies & Guidelines

State Roads


State and Local Roads


Further Information

For further information on conducting works within a Main Roads' road reserves, please contact:

Within the Metropolitan Region please direct all enquiries to the Customer Services Manager via the Main Roads Customer Information Centre on (138 138 or email to

For regional offices please direct all enquiries to the regional Customer Services Manager. Contact details can be found on the Main Roads website contact page:


Modified: 03 Mar 2020