Part B: Application and Approval Guidelines - Stock Crossings

Document No:  D10#256521
Revision:  3
Date amended:  23-Dec-2010

Image: orange line.RCN-D13^23151823.GIF 

The information below is intended to reflect the preferred practice of Main Roads Western Australia ("Main Roads"). Main Roads reserves the right to update this information at any time without notice. If you have any questions or comments regarding the Application & approval Guidelines, please contact Traffic Manager, Traffic Operations & Services Branch, Road Network Services Directorate, by e-mail or on (08) 9323 4302.  

To the extent permitted by law, Main Roads, its employees, agents, authors and contributors are not liable for any loss resulting from any action taken or reliance made by you on the information herein displayed.

Revision Register

Revision Register

Ed/Version Number Clause NumberDescription of RevisionDate
1 All Guideline Developed 01-Jan-2003
2 All Guideline Revised 16-Nov-2005
3 All Guideline Revised and Guideline Contact changed. 23-Dec-2010


Table of Content


1.1 Definitions


Refer to Main Roads Glossary of Terms guidelines which provide the most commonly used terminology used by Main Roads.


AS means Australian Standards.
Livestock waybill means a form completed by the livestock owner recording details of the animal movement. (Contact the Department of Agriculture & Food for details).


Local road means a road under the control of a Local Government.


Main Roads means Main Roads Western Australia.
RTC 2000 means Road Traffic Code 2000.
Special permit to move means a permit issued by a Department of Agriculture & Food inspector approving the movement of stock between two properties without a waybill.
State road means a highway and main road under the control of Main Roads Western Australia and includes national highways.


Traffic sign means a sign as recognised in the Australian Standards or Main Roads signs index.


1.2 Purpose


The purpose of this guideline is to provide reasonable precautions that should be taken by a person when moving stock on a State road, and to outline Main Roads??? requirements for provision of stock underpasses on State roads.


The person in charge of moving stock across or along a road does not need formal permission from the road authority except for the following statutory requirements:
    • For roads with declared Control of Access, the consent of Main Roads is required (Main Roads Act 1930, Section 28A(4)), and
    • For roads within a town, to have the permission of the Director General (RTC 2000 Regulation 277).
              The person in charge or moving stock across or along a road must carry either a:
    • Livestock Waybill, or
    • Special permit to move.
(Further information can be obtained from the local Department of Agriculture and Food).


A person droving stock on roads shall:
    • Not leave stock unattended (RTC 2000 Regulation 275), and
    • Provide reasonable warning and not cause unreasonable delay to approaching traffic (RTC 2000 Regulation 276).


The RTC 2000 allows the person in charge of moving stock on a road to install temporary road warning signs (Regulations 276 & 297) and to display a yellow flashing warning light on a vehicle (Regulation 289).


2.1 Applicable Routes


This guideline applies to routes designated as State Roads.
Maps of State roads can be located on under State Road Network Mapping System.

2.2 Precautions for taking Stock onto a State Road
2.2.1 General

The RTC 2000 requires the person in charge of stock on a road to:

    • Take all reasonable precautions to warn approaching traffic of the presence of the stock, and
    • Arrange the moving of the stock at such times, and in such numbers, and establishes such control of the stock on the road, as is likely to prevent it causing unreasonable delay to the passage of other traffic.


2.2.2 Reasonable Warning

Reasonable precautions to warn approaching traffic with warning signs and devices is provided in the Technical Guideline (Part C).

2.2.3 Unreasonable Delay

Circumstances considered to be cause for unreasonable delay are as follows:

    • The duration of road closure is greater than 5 minutes; and for multiple crossing movements, all queued vehicles are not cleared before the commencement of the next crossing movement,
    • The stock movement is on a dual carriageway road,
    • The crossing is closer than 1 km to a stock underpass servicing the same landowner, or
    • The road's annual average daily traffic volume is greater than 2 500 vehicles per day.
2.2.4 Costs

The person in charge of the stock is responsible of the supply, installation and removal of the road traffic signs and devices associated with the stock movement on a road.

2.2.5 Roads with High Traffic Volumes

Where a road's annual average daily traffic volume is greater than 2 500 vehicles per day, a stock underpass is the preferred method of moving stock across the road.


2.3 Stock Underpasses under State Roads
2.3.1 General

A stockowner may install an underpass under a State road subject to compliance with the requirements of these guidelines. There are conditions on the design, construction, maintenance and Main Roads' contribution to costs.

2.3.2 Costs
There is no fee for Main Roads to process an application. The applicant shall be responsible for all costs associated with the design, construction and maintenance, except maintenance of the underpass structure, which shall be at Main Roads' cost.
Main Roads may agree to contribute to the design and construction cost of the underpass structure, and if it does, the contribution shall be as shown in Table 1. Main Roads funding contribution will be paid within 30 days of satisfactory completion of construction of the underpass structure, provided that the underpass is operational.


Annual Average Daily Traffic
(vehicles per day)
Main Roads Cost
< 500
0 %
500 < 1000
12.5 %
1000 < 1500
25 %
1500 < 2500
37.5 %
> 2500
50 %


2.3.3 Design and Construction
For sections of the underpass that are within and at the boundary of the road reserve, the design shall be approved by Main Roads and the construction shall be undertaken by Main Roads approved consultants/contractors.

2.3.4 Maintenance

The applicant shall maintain the underpass, except for the underpass structure, which shall be maintained by Main Roads. The maintenance of the underpass by the applicant includes removal of fouling and repair of any damage to the road infrastructure within the road reserve.



3.1 Application

A person wishing to install a stock underpass must submit an application to Main Roads.

Applications should be submitted to the Regional Manager for Rural Regions and the Manager Traffic Operations & Services for the Perth Metropolitan Area. All information requested on the Application Form for a Stock Underpass shall be included.

3.2 Approval

Approval of an application shall include a condition that a Stock Underpass Agreement be signed by both the applicant and Main Roads before commencement of any work in the road reserve and shall indicate the extent, if any, of Main Roads contribution of funding the underpass.

Approval of the Application for a Stock Underpass and approval of the Agreement for design, construction, maintenance and funding of a Stock Underpass are to be by an officer authorised by the Commissioner in Main Roads??? Delegation of Authority Manual.