Geraldton Southern Transport Corridor Stage 1

This $88 million project was officially opened on 10 September 2005 six months ahead of schedule, by Geoff Gallop, the Premier at the time and Planning and Infrastructure Minister Alannah MacTiernan. The design and construct contract was awarded to Thiess in September 2003. The first sod was turned in March 2004.

 

Facts and Figures

The project incorporated 13 km of new railway, 5.3 km of new road, 4 road bridges and 2 rail tunnels.

The project used:

  • more than 500,000 man hours
  • 420,000 cubic metres of sand for the coastal works
  • 186,000 cubic metres of pavement
  • 13,000 concrete sleepers and 1,300 tonnes of rail
  • 4,900 metres of guardrail
  • 51,000 limestone blocks in the screen and noise walls – each block weighing 80 kilograms
  • 42 precast trough beams ranging from 12.5-25 metres long and 22-63 tonnes in weight
  • more than 200 kilograms of seed for landscaping a total of 45 hectares

The project contributed more than $24 million to the local economy. More than 70 percent of workers from the local community were employed with more than 200 local contractors and suppliers involved. Approximately 41,000 training hours were completed, involving 40 trainees and 6 apprentices.

The Brand interchange:

  • the bridge over the road is 5.8 m high, with two spans each 21 metres wide
  • the rail bridge spans 12 metres and is 6.1 metres high

The Willcock rail tunnel:

  • 150.7 metres long
  • 132 precast arch panels
  • 8 metres high inside
  • walls 300 mm thick
  • 1800 square metres of retaining wall
  • 1900 cubic metres of concrete
  • 230 tonnes of steel
  • 280,000 cubic metres of fill over the top – that's what creates the amazing views from the new roads

The Waverley Street connection:

  • crosses a road bridge and a rail tunnel
  • the road bridge is 7 metres high (2 x 21 m long spans)
  • the rail tunnel is 27.6 metres long, 14.6 metres wide and 7.5 m high

The Highbury bridge stands at 6.6 metres high, with 2 x 25 m spans and 1 x 20 m span and caters for an extra rail line as well as Stage 2 roadworks, which runs to the east.

The Public Art was designed by local artists Edmund Stewart and Judy Chapman-Stewart. The sails are etched to represent the sun, sea and wind. Each sail stands 8.4 metres high (sail component 6 m) and is made from stainless steel, each weighing 2 tonnes

 

Publication

Top

Modified: 21 Feb 2018