Narrows Bridge turns 60

The Narrows Bridge celebrated its 60th birthday!

On 13 November 1959, the bridge was officially opened by Premier Sir David Brand and Main Roads Commissioner  J. Digby Leach.

The 396m long bridge became part of the then-new Kwinana Freeway - which ran for 3.9 km from the Narrows to Canning Bridge, with a speed limit of 80 km/h.

Originally supposed to be named the "Golden West Bridge" - the bridge took its name from the part of the Swan River between Mill Point and Point Lewis, known as "the narrows".

The second road bridge was opened on the western side in February 2001, with the rail bridge for the Mandurah train line opening in 2007.

Today, the Narrows Bridge is one of Perth's key river crossings, carrying nearly 200 000 vehicles every day

Modified: 04 Dec 2019