Accident footage - I was involved in an accident on xxx. Do you have recorded footage?

Unfortunately, recorded footage is not available. Our traffic cameras are used for monitoring the freeway and traffic incidents on the metropolitan road network in real time only.

Advertising signs - How do I display an advertising sign outside my business?

For all requests related to advertising signs, please refer to your local government authority for assessment.


Advertising sign - My advertising sign has gone missing from xxx. Where is it and how can I get it back?

Your sign may have been picked up by our staff if it was on a road controlled by us. They can be collected from 9 - 11 Colin Jamieson Drive, Welshpool on Friday's from 10am to 11am. 


Animals - I've seen live animals on the road. Who do I call?

If the animal you have seen is a live domestic animal, for example, a dog, cat, horse, cow or duck, contact the relevant local government authority and advise the ranger service. 

If the domestic animal appears to be sick or injured contact the RSPCA  on 1300 278 3589.

If you have spotted a sick, injured, orphaned or displaced native wildlife contact Wildcare Helpline  on their 24 hour number (08) 9474 9055.

Bicycle markings - What are the bicycle markings on approach to traffic signal stop lines?

Bicycle markings can be seen in the centre of traffic lanes on the approach to traffic signal stop lines.

The markings consist of a bicycle and a number of diamonds and are used to help cyclists get into the best position for the detection loops at traffic signals to be triggered so that a green light will be called.

Sometimes cyclists wait in a position that the detection loops fail to recognise and when no traffic is around, the traffic signals will not change to green.


'Built up area' - What does it mean?

The Road Traffic Code 2000 defines a built-up area as "The territory contiguous to and including any road -

1. On which there is provision for street lighting at intervals of not over 100 m for a distance of at least 500 m or, if the road is shorter than 500 m, for the whole road; or

2. Which is built up with structures devoted to business, industry or dwelling houses at intervals of less than 100 m over a distance of one half kilometres or more."


Claims against Main Roads - Who do I submit a claims against Main Roads to?

All claimants must fill in our claim form and email it to enquiries@mainroads.wa.gov.au.


Current road conditions - What are the current road conditions within WA?

All WA road conditions can be found on our Travel Map. For up-to-date travel information direct to your phone, you can follow us on our metropolitan and regional Twitter pages.


Dangerous intersection - The xxx intersection is dangerous. What can be done about it?

Please call us on 138 138 if you have concerns about an intersection. If that intersection comes within our jurisdiction we will arrange for a Traffic Services Officer to investigate and contact you with a response.  On local roads, intersection safety is the responsibility of local government. We will inform you if this is the case and pass your query on to the relevant local authority.


Driver behaviour - I was in my car today when another driver cut across me

This form of driver behaviour is a police issue. Please contact the police assistance centre on 131 444.


Drivers licence - How do I change my licence from another state to a WA licence?

For all licence enquiries, please refer to the Department of Transport .


Lines on the road - The lines on my road need repainting

Requests for lines on local council roads must be submitted to the local council . For lines on our roads, a request must be made to us in writing to enquiries@mainroads.wa.gov.au . We maintain lines on all roads i.e. repainting of faded line.


Maps – Do Main Roads supply maps?

Our Open Data, Maps & Apps page provides links to maps and mapping applications on this and other websites.


Mulch - Can I collect mulch from the side of the road, and keep it?

Unfortunately this mulch cannot be collected by the public as we use this mulch for stabilisation and revegetation. It is untreated so may not be suitable for private gardens.


Pedestrians and cyclists - Where can I find out about works that will affect pedestrians and cyclist?

Visit our Pedestrians & Cyclists page for more information.


Pedestrian crossings - The lights don't allow enough time to cross safely. Can you change it?

Since 2001, we have progressively updated pedestrian crossing lights to operate as “Parallel Walk Crossings” as this was determined to be the preferred configuration by motorists, cyclists and pedestrian, in both Australian and international research studies.

Turning motorists must give way to pedestrians crossing the road they are turning into - this is fundamental to the effectiveness of parallel walk crossings. Pedestrians have responsibility to only begin crossing when there is a “green figure” signal. This is generally displayed for six seconds, with the vehicle green light signal (never a green arrow) delayed for five seconds. Crossing times are configured so pedestrians complete their crossing while the “flashing red figure” is displayed. Under no circumstances should pedestrians cross when a “red figure” is displayed.


Pedestrians - What happens at any location where turning vehicles don't give way to pedestrians?

Turning vehicles giving way to pedestrians is an enforceable element of the road traffic code.  Inappropriate behaviour should be reported to WA Police on 131 444.


Red light cameras - Who is in charge of red light cameras?

Red light cameras are managed by WA Police. For all queries relating to red light cameras, please contact WA Police on 131 444.


Rental properties - What company manages rental properties for Main Roads?

Our rental properties are managed by Perth Management Services, 567 Newcastle St West Perth 6005; Phone (08) 9212 9999; Email queries@p-m-s.com.au.


Responsibility for roads - Which roads are Main Roads responsible for?

The Metropolitan Roads page sets out the network of major roads and freeways we are responsible for. We also provide a separate page outlining all Regional Roads we control.


Rest Area Brochure – How do I request one?

Our Rest Areas page provides information for all roadside amenities and rest areas in WA with free downloadable brochures.


Roadworks - Roadworks are occurring on xxx Road. Who is responsible for them?

For roadwork information on our roads, check out our live Travel Map. For roadworks information on local roads, please contact the local council .


Roadworks and closures - How do I find out about roadworks and road closures in my area?

For any roadworks carried out on our roads, please refer to our Travel Map, or our projects website.


Roadworks plans - I am looking at buying a property on xxx Road. How do I find out if there will be any road widening in the future that may affect my property?

Please submit your request in writing to: PO BOX 6202 East Perth or via email enquiries@mainroads.wa.gov.au. You will need to provide the Certificate of Title details (Volume number, Folio number & street name & number) for the property concerned.


Roadworks signs - Why are the warning signs up when there are no workmen around?

Safety standards and regulations require our staff and contractors to erect warning signs – often including speed reduction signs – whenever roadway changes occur or road works are underway.

The signs might highlight changes to road conditions (eg slippery or “loose stones” road surfaces, a drop off at the road edge) or have been erected in preparation for road works to begin. In addition, road workers may not always be visible from the road: for example they may be under the roadway.

In the interests of safety, we ask that you take note of signage and always assume road workers are in the vicinity. We value your safety and also that of our workforce.


School zone - 40 km/h school zones need to be installed. How do I arrange this?

The school administration or P&C Committee should apply on school letterhead to us; Speed Zoning Officer, who will arrange to visit the school. All applications are assessed in line with Application and Approval Guidelines - Speed Zoning

Applications should be addressed to: Speed Zoning Officer, Main Roads Western Australia, PO BOX 6202 East Perth WA 6892


Speed limit - Speed limits on xxx Road aren't clear. Can you tell me what it is?

Our call centre can be contacted for this information on 138 138. Please keep in mind this information is always subject to checks on whether road works are underway or whether some other hazard requires reduced speeds to be observed.

If a metropolitan road in a built-up area is not signposted, the speed limit is 50 km/h.


Speed signs - 50 km/h signs. How do I get one installed in my street?

Our policy is to not install 50 km/h speed zone signs on roads which are subject to the 50 km/h default Built-up Area (BUA) speed limit. This limit, which was introduced on the 1 December 2001, applies to all roads that are defined as a Built-up Area under the Road Traffic Code 2000, and that have not otherwise been signposted.

As all motorists should be familiar with the default speed limit in built-up areas, 50 km/h signs are only considered necessary to reduce motorist confusion and maximise road user safety where the allowed speed zone changes on a continuing road.

Speeding infringements - How do I oppose speeding infringements?

If you wish to dispute your speeding infringement, contact WA Police Infringement Management & Operations section on (08) 9222 1408. 

We are responsible for all speed limits and speed zones on public roads in WA.  To determine the speed zone on a particular road within the Perth metropolitan area, please send us a copy of your speeding infringement and we will refer it to our speed zoning section for confirmation.

Alternatively, if the infringement occurred in a regional area please contact our nearest regional office for their confirmation. 


Street light - A street light outside my house that has blown. Who do I call?

Street lights in residential areas are the responsibility of Western Power. Please call 1800 622 008.


Traffic signals - Timing on the green lights at xxx intersection are too short . Why is this?

Traffic signal timing problems sometimes occur following roadworks.

Please submit an online report a fault form and we will investigate your concern.  If your concern is an urgent safety issue, please phone us on 138 138.


Traffic webcams - The traffic cameras on the website aren't working. Can they be fixed?

Traffic webcams are primarily used to monitor freeway traffic flows. When they are in pre-set mode they are publicly available.

Webcams are required to be offline when they are needed for operational reasons. This may include during peak hour traffic times or when a traffic incident has occurred.


Twitter - How do I receive Main Roads' Twitter updates?

Visit our metro or regional Twitter accounts and click on 'Follow'.


Water - Water is covering the road from a burst water main. Who do I call?

This is a Water Corporation issue. Please refer to their Water Faults and Emergency line on 13 13 75.


Modified: 06 Mar 2019